Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Ferrari's HOLDing on!

World champion Kimi Raikkonen believes he won his first Formula One title because of Ferrari's superb teamwork.

Trailing Lewis Hamilton by 26 points at one stage, Raikkonen clinched the title after winning the Brazilian Grand Prix.

"We weren't in the strongest position at some points, but we always believed we could recover," said Raikkonen.

"Even in the hard times we stuck together," the Finn added. "I need to thank the team because we always worked hard to improve the situation."


Hamilton's attempt to make history by winning the title in his maiden season ended when he finished only seventh.

The Briton had started the race as title favourite with a four-point lead over team-mate Fernando Alonso and an advantage of seven over Raikkonen.

But Hamilton's challenge was scuppered when problems with his McLaren saw him drop to the back of the field early in the race.

And former world champion Alonso's hopes were dashed as he finished third behind Raikkonen's team-mate Felipe Massa.

Brazilian Massa, who had led for most of the first 50 laps, was overtaken by Raikkonen during the second round of pitstops who held onto the lead to secure victory and the championship..

Raikkonen was quick to praise Massa's contribution to his title success.

"It is great to win both championships," said Raikkonen, referring to Ferrari's constructors' championship success. "I thank the whole team for that, for all their hard work, and Felipe too.

"It was perfect teamwork."

Runner-up in 2003 and 2005, Raikkonen is the third Finnish Formula One world champion after Keke Rosberg (1982) and Mika Hakkinen (1998 and 1999).

Raikkonen is the first driver since the late Argentine Juan Manuel Fangio to win the championship in his first season with Ferrari.

The Finn joined Ferrari from McLaren as successor to retired seven-times champion Michael Schumacher.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was perfect teamwork. The main reason why I love supporting Ferrari. It was all drama in this final race. Will try to catch a re-run of it. I'm so happy for Ferrari, shows that you don't need spies in your team to win while the other might be full of it. I'm just so happy. Happy. Hehehe... I never liked McLaren, yup... even when Raikkonen was in it. The only way I might like it if Schumacher drives for them which of course will never happen.

Anyway, I still believe that Massa's the man of the race. Let's see how long he can pull this off and I do hope Ferrari will make it clear soon that he's just as important as Kimi. You know, we don't want him to be another Barrichello.

1 comment:

Amirul Hafidz said...

What a season. I never watched a complete race before, until this remarkable final race which somehow managed to hold me off from sleeping until like 5am when the race was over.

I don't have a particular favourite driver or team, but I do admire all the top three drivers. I'd like to think that Raikonnen deserves to win after so many years of battling though I reckon everyone would agree that it was partly down to luck. More than that, I see it as McLaren who gifted the title to the flying Finn after the many mistakes they have committed along the season.

I can't help but envy Hamilton's accomplishment at such a young age. You see, each time you look at people of your age or slightly older doing this and that, leaving their footprints in this world, you just have this strange kind of feeling. Hamilton in this case is like only three years older than us, and every time I think of him winning the championship I can't help but try to imagine myself three years down the line, if I could just be on par with him in my own field irrespective of what. For this strange reason also I was praying for him to eventually lose the race; I just couldn't bear the jealousy in me. And he did lose it. Rase bersalah pulak sekarang. Haha.