Saturday, September 22, 2007

It's about time

Now Playing: "Get it together" by The Go! Team

I got it! My first ever job! =)

It's in this cosy Italian restaurant called Sale l Pepe, right across Belissimo & Piccolo Mondo. My first try-out was about 2 days ago. Went there at approximately 7pm and the rest, as they say, is history - one filled with bullshitting my way through the tough tide of domestic chores, that is =P Well, it wasn't so much of domestic work - it was more of waitressing than anything else.

Anyway, ever read or watched Godfather? Well, I've always had a sense of admiration or rather a deep curiosity towards the Italian culture, in general - the food, the language, the network, the people (just the guys actually) & anything of the likes. So I was quite flattered when the owner invited me to work at his restaurant as I was making my way back home. That itself has saved my time handing out resumes which I never did anyway, thanks to him. Lol.

To tell you the truth, I was pretty freaked out before the try-out knowing that my experience in waitressing (if any) was almost nonexistent and the fact that I've crapped about my "past experiences" working in some other restaurant, which were obviously a complete myth and a cover-up line on my part. (Somehow I had a feeling that they knew I was lying). 'Come on...you can't screw it, not this one', were the words echoing through my pessimistic-wired mind.

So did I screw up? I don't know and frankly, I don't really care. I'm just thankful I've secured the job so far. Needless to say, the 2-hour training was indeed an invaluable experience for me - from the table arrangements, the placement of dockets, serving etiquettes & techniques, how to arrange the cutleries fine-dining style, how to set up the table,etc – everything’s completely new to me.

The people there are great. Everyone's so sweet and incredibly nice despite my incompatibliity at my first day of work. Or at least they did a great job pretending.Lol. Anyway, it's amazing to witness how the chefs prepare those authentic Italian dishes with your very own eyes. Beats watching Jamie Oliver on TV =) And I like the fact that almost everyone's Italian hence I find it amusing when they speak to each other (and to some of their customers) in their mother tongue. I guess I can see why women (and gay men alike) make a big fuss over Italian guys, generally speaking. They're such gentlemen and pretty sexy I must say..

Anyway,I'm stoked about starting this Monday. The fact that I've never worked before (not even part-time) and the idea of getting your own money, although on a smaller scale, makes me feel really grateful that I've been given the opportunity to be more financially independent. It’s about time…

5 comments:

Afifah said...

I never thought I would see the day, my buddy all grown up! ceh, nak hyperbole siket. Aiii... thinking about italian food during ramadhan... well, I hope it will turn out great for you!

I guess this time you'll be taking orders instead of ordering ? :)

Nabster said...

hahaha.nice one.yep,definitely taking orders this time! lol.

amerhadiazmi said...

ahh, the godfather..

Silence said...

pan,
i want mac and cheese, tho i know mac and cheese is american..but i want it!

ahahah..

im imagining ur place to be somewhat like a diner...ahahaha.
diner girl..

Nabster said...

Pojue: you should be grateful that McD's halal over there! I miss my usual double cheese burger and my mushroom swiss in BK =( hrmmphhh.seriously SICK of italian food.hahah.